Silage is an important high-energy forage for dairy cows that can make a big difference in your production goals. The extra nutrients and higher starch digestibility can help your operation produce more milk per ton and more milk per acre. Fit for your specific fields, Gold Country Seed silage corn products are developed to help you get the feed you need, with high-quality tonnage and high-energy content.
Highly Digestible Silage Products
Choose Gold Country Seed HDS® corn to help maximize your milk production and get the most out of your silage operation. Gold Country Seed HDS corn products are carefully selected for your specific growing environment to produce high tonnage. These products have floury-type grain that can provide high starch digestibility within the ration.
Dual-Purpose Corn Products
Our dual-purpose products have shown to excel in silage. We continuously test our lineup to determine the best products for your livestock operation. In doing this, we collect thousands of samples to ensure we provide options that enable you to produce the most milk and beef per acre.
Silage Management Tips
- Harvest corn silage between 60-68 percent moisture to maximize forage quality and minimize storage losses.
- Treat with research-proven silage inoculants to retain high-quality feed.
- Monitor crop maturity for optimum harvest timing, which is generally 5-6 weeks after full tassel.
With our ongoing silage research, we are able to share with our growers how the products they plant can perform as a component of the feeding ration. Our goal at Gold Country Seed is to deliver strong performing silage products for better silage yield potential, with nutrient values that enable strong production levels. It's just one way we show our commitment to providing Gold Country Seed growers with products fit for their specific operations.
HDS® Planting and Management Tips
- HDS corn offers higher nutrients and digestibility. We recommend managing your HDS silage with the proper fertility on your best fields.
- Maintain a planting population in the moderate range, usually 3,000 plants per acre less than grain corn of a similar maturity.
- To stretch out and add biomass, HDS products generally perform best when planted in the recommended populations of 28,000 to 32,000 plants per acre.
Dual-Purpose Management Tips
- To help increase tonnage on your more productive soils, consider plant populations on the higher side of what's recommended for each product.
- Adjust your plant populations based on your fields' water-holding capacity and soil fertility.
- Plant a fuller season product to maximize the growing season and environment. Keep in mind the effects on grain dry down and risks of early frost.
Find the products fit for your operation, review our Silage options or Contact Us to learn more.